LocationIoannina , Greece
Contract Length3 months
Qualifications RequiredTEFL/TESOL certificate
Number of Positions3
Second Tree is a small NGO based in Greece that provides integration, education and community building for refugees and asylum-seekers in Northern… Read more
Second Tree (www.secondtree.org, www.facebook.com/SecondTree/) is a Greek non-profit and non-governmental organization based in Ioannina, Epirus. Second Tree was founded in January 2017 by a group of volunteers that had worked together in the Katsikas refugee camp. Since our inception we have worked with and supported refugee communities across the Epirus region and we continue to grow in our four key areas.
Integration – through workshops and activities that develop connections with the local community and economy; fostering an avenue for cohesion and unity.
Education – through non-formal English and Greek language classes for teenagers and adults delivered by qualified teachers
Community-Building – through a Scouts program designed to develop teamwork and life-skills in young people in the region
Support – through our non-formal children’s activities for 3-10 year olds
Second Tree delivers non-formal education (NFE) programs at different sites in the Epirus region and is looking for qualified and/or experienced volunteers to fill the roles. The long-term objective of our NFE program is to develop the English language skills of students through the Cambridge Empower Workbook series, in order to prepare them for languague certification.
Although acquiring certification is the intended long-term objective, we expect our teachers to ensure that the following objectives are realized in the immediate term:
- To support the psycho-social and intellectual development of refugees and asylum seekers
- To empower them with interpersonal – and life – skills
- To enable access to quality learning resources
- To develop their English language skills in preparation for certification
- To strengthen their ability to enter formal education and/or the workplace
- To foster their integration into European society
We are looking for volunteer teachers to deliver English classes to refugees and asylum seekers in Ioannina and the Epirus region. The ideal candidate(s) will have experience teaching English as a foreign/second language and will possess a strong understanding of or passion for the context we work in (refugee crisis). Experience delivering educational activities to vulnerable populations is a strong advantage.
Salary & benefits
At Second Tree we cherish the relation that every teacher creates with their students. This is especially true in a refugee context, where gaining students’ trust and having a thorough knowledge of their needs is crucial to their learning. For this reason, we only offer the position of Lead Teacher to volunteers that can commit to at least two months. Short term volunteers can help as Assistant Teachers. As space is limited, and Lead Teachers are vital to the continuation of the program, we prioritize long-term volunteers.
For Long-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us for at least 2½ months, we offer free accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house, and offer and/or cover transportation for work-related activities;
For Short-Term Volunteers: if you are staying with us between 5 and 10 weeks, we might be able to put you in contact with individuals providing cheap accommodation (approx. 5€/day). In case there are empty spaces in the team house, you are welcome to stay there, but priority will be given to long-term volunteers.
How to Apply:
Please send the following to Giovanni Fontana at: [email protected]
1) Your CV
2) Your cover letter
3) Copy of your teaching qualifications
In your mail, please: 4) Put “ESL Teacher Candidate (LoveTEFL)” as the subject line
5) Specify the dates you would be available to volunteer
If the application includes all of these we will get back to you in a maximum of 48hs.
LocationIoannina , Greece
Contract Length3 months
The role will include:
- Delivering daily classes to the population at assigned site;
- Preparing class materials;
- Ensuring student engagement and progress;
- Working closely with the Programme Manager to ensure the programme is being delivered to the expected standards of Second Tree;
- Degree in teaching and/or Certification in English language teaching (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA or equivalent);
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-level classroom;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to teaching and classroom management;
- Strong communication, inter-personal and writing skills;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience working in the refugee context;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations;